What causes double vision after injection?

Question: What causes double vision after injection?

I went to have a dental implant today (2nd attempt as the 1st one failed to integrate). Almost immediately when the doctor injected the anesthetic, my left eye started to burn. It felt like it was going to explode. My vision got very blurry and then I suffered double vision which lasted about 25 minutes. When I covered my left eye, everything was normal. When I covered my right eye, no double vision but everything was at a tilt. The dental assistant seemed scared and the dentist left the room after I asked for a few minutes before proceeding. The assistant also seemed concerned about the "white splotches" on my face which the doctor said was a reaction to epinepherine in my sinuses. I seem to be fine now, but would like to know what happened and If I should be concerned. I`ve had lots of dental work and lots of injections and outside of a sugar rush have never had anything like this happen before. Thanks.

Answer: What causes double vision after injection?

Thank you for you question. I presume this was the back of the upper jaw that was anesthetized. This is a recognized complication, although infrequent. The symptoms usually resolve in the time frame for the local anesthetic to wear off, 1 – 6 hours depending on the anesthetic involved.

The eye symptoms are likely due to fibers of the sympathetic nervous system becoming anesthetized and drooping of the eyelid and possibly flushing of the eye would also accompany your symptom complex. The white splotches are the result of the epinephrine constricting the blood vessels in that area. Since the face gets so much collateral (extra) blood supply to most areas, this almost never results in any permanent damage.

From : netwellness.org

TAG : complications of dental anesthesia causing double vision ,dental anesthesia causing double visionAccidents, ophthalmology, dental anesthesia.
Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl